Whole HOT orange cake with chia seeds rocked my world this week. (GF, DF, SF)
“I smell like oranges
I’ve been peeling them all day
You said that you liked oranges
In the orange cake type of way
So I baked you an orange cake
Complete with the peel
I left a piece for myself
Of which you did then steal
And I am unhappy
Because I will say
That I too like oranges
In the orange cake type of way.”
OK this one is so quick and easy and delicious that you’ll have to hide some for yourself because your husband might steal yours as well. Or my husband might, if he knows you made it (He looks like the guy from Homeland as a heads up). He’s lucky I’m still talking to him and that I’m the baker because if I hadn’t been able to just ‘whip up’ another one he’d have been sleeping with our crazy dog Rossi for the night.
Hear me loud and clear when I say “FLAVOUR SENSATION”. This one has an entire orange in it which is why the flavour is so rich without having to add a lot of ingredients. Chia seeds are a complete protein and include all 9 essential amino acids as well as adding texture to the cake and making it resemble an orange and poppy seed cake. Healthy? TICK. Flavour? TICK. Easy? TICK.
This cake is not going to rise like a cake made from wheat flour. It will be dense, moist and rich. Mine have all risen up to 1cm only. This recipe will be perfect for a 20cm cake tin so don’t worry if it looks too full.
TIP: If you feel your cake is browning too much while the centre is still not cooked you can place a piece of foil over the top and tuck under the tin edges and it will stop browning. (this is really oven dependant)
Cook time 35-45mins
Preheat your oven to 160C (320F)
- 1 cup almond meal (you can simply blitz 1 cup almonds in your processor to a fine powder)
- 1 whole orange
- 1/3 cup olive oil (or coconut butter)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbls chia seeds
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
- Boil your WHOLE orange for 10 mins.
- Blend the WHOLE orange in the food processor until it is pulp. WOWZA.
- Separate eggs
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form
- Beat egg yolks and add rice malt syrup, your whole pulverised orange & oil
- Add almond meal, chia seeds and baking powder and mix through
- Fold through egg whites.
- Pour into a greased and lined spring-form pan or loaf pan
- Bake for 45-mins to an hour depending on the size of your tin. (your cake will be cooked when it springs back when pressed lightly in the middle – however you will still be able to hear that it is moist. )
- I topped with coconut cream (straight out of the can – try it) and some blitzed dehydrated orange peel.
Like this recipe? Sign up to get them delivered to your inbox for FREE