The best thing about a flourless orange cake is that it tastes even better a day or two after it’s cooked. And dare I say it ‘moister’. (Char, if you’re reading this, that word’s for you babe!).
Of course I couldn’t make a cake that called for orange zest without adding doTERRA’s Wild Orange Essential Oil in it right? I mean… you all know that orange essential oil comes from orange zest right?
- 2 large navel oranges
- 5 drops doTERRA Wild Orange Oil
- 250g almond meal
- 250g (1 cup) xylitol
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 large eggs
- Place oranges in a large pot of simmering water and simmer for one hour, or until soft enough for a sharp knife to g straight in. Top up the water during this if you need to, so as to keep the oranges fully submerged.
- Drain and leave to cool. Chop them coarsely, skin and all and puree in a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Grease and line base and sides of a 22cm round cake tin with buttered baking paper.
- Whisk the almond meal, xylitol and baking powder in a large bowl for half a minute or so.
- Beat the eggs on medium-high speed for about 6 minutes until light and fluffy with an electric beater.
- Pour the orange puree and almond mixture into the eggs along with the wild orange essential oil. Mix on low speed until just combined and pour into prepared tin.
- Bake for 1 hour (or until the top of the cake is just firm when pressed gently. Cool the cake in the tin on a wire rack. Once cool, invert the cake onto a serving plate and remove paper. You can decorate the cake with a dusting of desiccated coconut.