I use my Vitamix to make smoothies, dips and sauces pretty much on a daily basis, but I haven’t been making many raw cakes and slices lately. I realised that it was beyond time to bust something raw and amazing out. As my favourite Italian dessert by far is Tiramisu, I decided to make a raw vegan (paleo) tiramisu which is free from gluten, dairy, refined sugar or nasties.
This has a chocolate ‘biscuity’ layer as a base, a middle ‘smack’ of coffee flavour and a vanilla top layer.
I’ve tasted raw tiramisu’s before and been impressed, but I had no idea how AMAZING this one was going to taste. I always judge the greatness of my desserts by my husbands reaction to them. I packed him a container with a slice for work and he proudly showed his local coffee-shop mates what his ‘wifey’ made him.
So we ALL know it’s a winner.
You know I love coffee and so I had to make it with a good kick. It surpassed any expectations I had and I can’t wait for you to try it.
I have seen that most raw tiramisu recipes have soft baby coconut meat in them, but this one is made using few ingredients, which you can find in most supermarkets and health food stores. The cashew nuts have been activated to release phytates and be gentler on the tummy.
- 1 1/2 cups raw walnuts (not soaked)
- 1/2 cup raw cacao nibs (I use Loving Earth brand)
- 10 regular dates, soaked in boiling water for 15 mins
- Pinch of sea salt
Coffee + Vanilla Layers
- 2 cups raw cashews (soaked in water and a pinch of salt for 2 hours)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract if you can’t buy this)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 strong cup espresso coffee + more instant coffee grounds if you need
- In a food processor or your Vitamix, place in cacao nibs and blend until they’re a semi-fine powder. Add dry walnuts and blend until they crumble then blitz in the soft soaked dates until it all comes together.
- Press into the bottom of a 20cm square plastic wrap lined cake tin, flatten and pop into the fridge to harden while you make your top layers.
- Add the cashews to the Vitamix and blend on low tamping down the sides until the cashews become a paste. Add all of the remaining layer ingredients EXCEPT the espresso into the Vitamix and blend on low speed until it comes together into a smooth paste. Remove half of the mix and put aside.
- Add the espresso to the remaining mix and blend together. Spread over the bottom layer of your tiramisu. Freeze for 30 mins or until hard.
- If your remaining vanilla layer has hardened, you may need to simmer it over a bowl small pot of simmering water and re-blend or make sure it’s all fully combined, then spread over the top of the espresso layer and freeze until completely firm (overnight if possible – covered with a layer of cling film.
- Decorate with raw cacao powder and coffee beans
- Ravish that raw tiramisu like a MOFO.