RAW Key Lime Pie to make you all giddy this Sweet Sweet Friday.
I’ve got a recipe for you all that’s just perfect for this amazing spring weather we’re beginning to rock down here in the southern hemisphere. Healthy, tasty, completely raw and zinging with amazing fresh lime! I like this type of trickery with ingredients in a recipe because I get to ask the inhabitants of my house and any ‘drop in’s’ we’ve got at the time “Guess what’s in it” but then before they even have a chance to guess I always bust in with whatever it is – in this case AVOCADO! (I’m a really impatient Aries, and I struggle with having to wait for anything. Something I’m working on.) This amazing colour and the creamy smooth texture of this tangy Raw Key Lime pie is all thanks to the humble avo and some blitzed cashews.
I used to make a really complicated raw lime pie with macadamia nuts and multiple layers, but I know how busy we all are, so this is a much easier recipe with a fraction of the amount of ingredients and all of the taste. You can have this in the freezer in around 10 mins and is sure to impress. I had to hide these one’s in the back of the freezer last night so my husband wouldn’t eat them all before I could take some pictures for you. This recipe is safe for those going gluten, dairy or refined sugar free and those that eat a paleo diet can get away with it too.
Makes 8 muffin sized (large) pies, or one super large lime pie for 8 slices. I like to use silicon trays for all of my raw ‘un-cooking’ as you can ‘pop’ everything out really easily.
- 1 cup almonds
- 3/4 cups dates
- 1 soft avocado
- 2 tbls rice malt syrup
- 60 grams of raw cacao butter (can also use coconut butter)
- 1 cup cashews
- 3tbls lime juice (1-2 limes)
- Zest of 1 lime (if you like it tangy)
What to do:
- Blitz almonds in the food processor until they look like large crumbs
- until Soak dates in hot water for 5 mins and add to almonds, blitz until combined and sticky
- Press into muffin trays about 1 cm thick and pop into the freezer while you make your filling
- Blitz cashews in your clean food processor until they are almost as fine as flour.
- melt your cacao butter or coconut butter with your rice malt syrup in a bowl placed over simmering water.
- Add avocado with melted butter and syrup to your processor along with the lime juice and zest if you are using.
- spread over bases and return to freezer until hard
- Take out of freezer for 10 mins before serving.
- Top with coconut. YUM!