Between the power of probiotic and healing kombucha and gut healing and skin firming gelatine, this recipe packs a serious healing punch.
“Gelatine is a known promotor of skin health. Gelatine provides glycine and proline, two amino acids that are used in the production of collagen. Collagen is one of the primary structural elements of skin, so providing the building blocks for this important protein can ensure that your body is able to create enough of it.
Gelatine can also improve gut integrity and digestive strength by enhancing gastric acid secretion and restoring a healthy mucosal lining in the stomach; low stomach acid and an impaired gut barrier are two common digestive problems in our modern society. Gelatine also absorbs water and helps keep fluid in the digestive tract, promoting good intestinal transit and healthy bowel movements.” (source)
Prefacing this recipe, I would like to mention that this recipe is very adjustable. I have used herbal tea and orange and ginger flavoured kombucha. In the recipe links under the post there are others who use strawberry flavoured kombucha and even rose water so that they taste more like a turkish delight. YUM!
Me? I’m partial to citrus, which is why I have focused on a citrus gummy in this particular version, which was inspired by the recipe from Additive Free Bites.
3 tbsp gelatine. I use the Great Lakes Gelatine brand as it’s made from healthy grassfed cows.
3/4 cup hot herbal tea (I use organic orange)
1 1/4 cups kombucha (I used homemade ginger kombucha)
- Dissolve the gelatine in a bowl of boiling water. Cool slightly. If you add the kombucha when it’s still hot the temperature will kill the benenficial bacteria in the mix.
- Gradually pour in the gelatine water as you whisk.
- Pour the mix into a clingfilm lined square cake tin and allow to set in the fridge. Slice into squares and eat one to two per day.
There’s a lot of cool recipes out there for turning your kombucha into probiotic gummies. Here’s three of my favourites (one includes chocolate!)
- Wellness Mama’s Homemade Fruit Snacks
- Additive Free Bites Turkish Delights Kombucha Jellies
- Health Starts in the Kitchen Kombucha Gummy Bears