If you’re on the look out for a natural product that can help cleanse the body of toxins, offers metabolism and lymph drainage support, rejuvenates energy, purifies skin and something that can be used as a bug repellent you should give lemon essential oil a go . Lemon essential oil has so many amazing health benefits and is often used in essential oil DIY recipes, making it a valuable oil to have amongst your collection.
The International Journal of Food Microbiology published findings from a study which found lemon oil may actually be the most powerful anti-microbial agent of all essential oils. Another study published in Experimental Biology found that inhaling the scent of lemon essential oils improved neurological activity that promotes the breakdown of body fat.
Lemon essential oil is so versatile to use this makes it one of the most ‘essential’ oils to have. It is often used as teeth whitener, laundry freshener, cellulite cream, face wash, surface spray and household cleaner.
Ayurveda medicine has been using both lemons and lemon essential oil to treat a wide spectrum of health conditions for at least 1,000 years with health benefits of lemon essential oil having since been well established scientifically too.
Lemon Essential Oil Health Benefits
(According to Alva’s Ayurveda Medical College assistant professor Dr. J.V. Hebbar)
• Cleansing and purification
• Oral health and remedy for halitosis (bad breath)
• Thirst quencher
• Remedy for abdominal colic pain
• Cough relief
• Calms stomach and relieves nausea
• Prevents malabsorption
• Improves digestion
• Nourishes the skin
• Promotes Weight loss
Lemon and lemon essential oil are also used to prevent heart disease and decrease cholesterol deposition in the blood!
Top 10 Lemon Essential Oil Uses
Lemon essential oil can be used in so many ways around the home, here are some of my favourites:
1. Surface spray – a great natural disinfectant alternative from alcohol and bleach to disinfect your kitchen benches and bathroom basins. Add 40 drops of lemon oil and 20 drops tea tree oil to 500mL spray bottle filled with filtered water and a splash of vinegar.
2. Laundry – just add a couple of drops of lemon essential oil to your washing load and your clothes won’t get that nasty smell if left in the washer for a little too long
3. Wood & Silver polish – Soak a cloth in some lemon essential oil and use to clean your tarnished silver and jewellery with, along with any wood too.
4. Face wash – Lemon essential oil is great to help improve skin complexion, leaving it soft and supple. Use lemon essential oil with baking soda and honey for a natural acne free face wash that benefits the skin by deeply nourishing it.
5. Clean hands – If regular soap isn’t quite enough for cleaning those greasy hands, add a couple drops of lemon essential oil with your regular soap to help get rid of that stubborn grease off your hands.
6. Teeth whitener – Mix coconut oil, baking soda and lemon essential oil together, rub on your teeth for 2 minutes and then rinse with water.
7. Promotes fat-loss – Adding 2 drops of lemon essential oil in your water three times per day can support metabolism and weight loss.
8. Immune Support – Mix lemon essential oil with coconut oil and rub on your neck to help support lymphatic drainage and support your body to overcome a cold faster.
9. Improves Mood – Add a couple of drops to your diffuser to help lift mood and reduce depression.
10. Insect Repellent – Mix lemon essential oil with peppermint and eucalyptus to repel ants and other insects.
Lemon Essential Oil Research
From the studies referring to lemon essential oils, the secret to its success appears to be thanks to d-limonene, a powerful cancer fighting antioxidant.
It’s also important to note that lemon essential oil comes from the cold-pressing of the lemon peel and not the inner fruit. Interestingly, the peel is the most nutrient dense part of the lemon in terms of fat soluble phytonutrients.
Lemon essential oil has also been shown to be effective in reducing pregnant women’s nausea and vomiting, along with helpful in reversing diabetic neuropathy.
Sciatic nerve damage has been shown to be markedly reduced by lemon essential oil (geraniol) supplementation, along with helping regulate energy stores and playing a role in preventing disease, cardiac dysfunction and premature aging.
It has also been observed that lemon essential oil has helped improve depleted dopamine levels which helps people overcome addictions and improves mood to help fight depression.
Lemon essential oil has been used on food to protect it from human pathogens like E. Coli and Salmonella, offering another good reason to use it as a household cleaner.
The skin benefits lemon essential oil offers includes reducing acne, nourishing damaged skin and hydrating it too. Using lemon oil on the skin with baking soda or raw honey is a great natural homemade face wash cleanser alternative.
Feeling inspired? If you want to learn more about how essential oils can form a wonderful part of your whole health protocol, join my essential oils newsletter list and I’ll share some information with you soon.
Top 10 uses and benefits of lemon essential oil. Pin me!