The weekend calls for extra special care to be taken when making your breakfast, you want something that smacks you in the face with it’s flavour, something that you’d finds at a fancy cafe and pay $25 for, but that you can whip up in 20 minutes and impress the pants off anyone around you (and you just may with this dish).
This is one of my favourite breakfasts and certainly a fave of my husband.
Quinoa is over 1/3 protein and has all essential amino acids the body needs to thrive, so it’s a perfect breakfast food. With the addition of fresh herbs and cauliflower this breakfast is packed with nutrients. The cauliflower is roasted in the oven – if you haven’t eaten roasted cauliflower yet you’re in for a treat – and to save pans and time, the bacon is cooked along with the cauliflower.
This also includes a ‘perfect’ poached egg on top, and is actually a boiled egg to a specific time. Works 100% of the time!
Welcome to breakfast heaven.
- 2 rashers of free-range bacon
- 2 free-range organic eggs at room temperature (this needs to be just so for the perfect poaching time)
- 2 cups quinoa cooked to packet directions (I use tri-colour quinoa)
- 1 handful of baby spinach
- 1/4 head cauliflower
- 1/4 red onion sliced very thinly
- small handful of chopped fresh basil or dill
- 1 tbs capers (optional)
- 1 tbs of whole egg mayonnaise to dress (or you can use olive oil if you like)
- Olive oil for roasting cauliflower
- Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C (320F) and place the cauliflower on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and cook for 10 minutes in the oven. On a piece of baking paper next to the cauliflower, add the bacon and turn over once during cooking, when it has browned and crisped on one side.
- In the meantime, heat a medium saucepan filled half filled with water and when it’s just boiling, slowly lower both eggs into the water in their shells. Cook for exactly 5.40secs (five minutes and forty seconds). Run under cold water and peel.
- When the bacon is cooked the cauliflower should be soft and starting to brown on the edges. Remove bacon and cauliflower from the oven and cut cauliflower up into florets.
- Mix your cooked quinoa, herbs of your choice, onion, spinach, cauliflower, capers (optional) and mayonnaise (or olive oil) in a large bowl and divide between two plates.
- Place a piece of bacon and a perfect poached egg on top and top with sea-salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Marvel at the yumminess!
If you like the look of this recipe we would love it if you would share it with your friends – our vision is to reach as many people as we can world-wide with a message of health and wellness.