Never have I made a pumpkin soup as creamy as this.
When I heard about making a soup from a whole roast pumpkin, I simply thought that it would save me time. I didn’t realise that it would make the pumpkin flesh so much creamier.
I’ve been experimenting with essential oils lately in caring for my Mum with her Rheumatoid Arthritis and also with my girls for calming and keeping their immune systems in ‘check’ so I automatically thought of adding the anti-microbial, anti-fungal, anti-viral oregano oil to this recipe (you don’t have to of course), then blend in the Vitamix. Drizzle with sesame or olive oil and top with parsley.
p.s If you’re buying butternut pumpkin and it has seeds in it, remove the seeds from the whole cooked pumpkin and continue to roast to dry in the oven. They taste amazing and are packed with nutrients
- 1 whole butternut pumpkin
- 1/2 cup broth or stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 drop oregano essential oil (optional) or other chopped green herbs.
- 1 tsp turmeric (optional – anti-microbial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory!)
- Roast whole butternut pumpkin in a 220C (420F) oven for 1 hour or until very soft.
- Remove and ‘peel’ skin off pumpkin. Remove seeds*
- Add pumpkin flesh to high powered blender with remaining ingredients and blend for 20seconds.
- Serve with fresh herbs and a drizzle of olive oil.