I love it when one meal can easily be shifted the next day to become two or even three and this meal is one of those.
We made slow-cooked beef brisket yesterday and then these spicy pulled beef tortillas with the left-over beef brisket (ribs) today. As the meat was already falling off the bone and full of flavour (slow-cooking does that), it was super easy to shred or pull the meat and quick, easy and kid-friendly to make some simple tortillas to place the ‘reinvented’ meal in.
A piece of advice for you on an excellent pantry staple we used in this meal is to go and buy yourself a jar of onion powder and a jar of garlic powder. They are so versatile and are a tasty and quick addition to a meal like this. (We also use onion and garlic powder in cauliflower sauces and lasagnes).
Spicy Pulled-Beef Brisket
- 2-3 slow-cooked beef brisket (ribs) See recipe here.
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder or hot paprika (optional)
- oil for frying
- Fresh lime or lemon to squeeze over
Method: Pull all of the beef off the rib bone and fry in remaining ingredients in a frypan (adding more chilli or even hot paprika as you like), pile into your tortillas and squeeze fresh lime or lemon juice over the top.
Tortillas recipe from Charlotte Carr
- 1 cup arrowroot or tapioca flour
- 2 tbs coconut flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk of your choice (we used rice milk)
Method: Whisk together and use a ladle to place small amounts in your frypan and fry in a little oil like a pancake (about 30 seconds per side)
- Steam some corn and fry it on one side to ‘char’ it.
- Mash some avo and lemon juice for guacamole
- Tear some herbs and cut some lettuce
- Make some diced tomato and herbs
- Add some lacto-fermented sauerkraut
Choose and experiment with your own toppings.