We eat citrus a lot in season at Castle Nicholls.
We have some trees in our yard and also at a friends place, and we’re constantly coming home with bags of citrus and making recipes that will taste delicious and that are filled with flavour.
The key components in citrus oils is an antioxidant known as limonene. Limonene (or D-limonene) has demonstrated anti-tumoral properties in a number of studies. Citrus oils also help to neutralise acid in your body and stimulate the immune system to fight infections. Another key feature of the citrus oils is that they have uplifting, invigorating and anti-depressant qualities.
*If you don’t have lime essential oil (that is food grade), then that’s okay. You can simply make an amazing orange cake that you and all your tribe will love.
- 2 whole oranges
- 2 drops lime pure therapeutic grade essential oil*
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- pinch of sea-salt (optional)
- Place the orange in a large pot and cover with water before bring it to a boil. Simmer about 25 minutes.
- Whilst the orange is simmering, whisk together the eggs and your sweeter or choice in a large mixing bowl. Once mixed, add in the almond flour and baking powder.
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees.
- Drain the water from your orange and roughly chop them. They should be easy to cut. Discard the seeds and place the chopped orange bits into a food processor or high powered blender such as a Vitamix. Blend until smooth.
- Once the oranges are pureed, pour them into the rest of your cake batter and fold through. Then add your batter to a lined cake tin.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before serving!