Considering how much I love a good kitchen-hack I’m almost ashamed to admit I had never attempted to make flour in my Vitamix.
// There are only 3 days left to enter the Vitamix Competition to win a Vitamix Total Nutrition Center Valued at $995. You can enter here.
While trying to find buckwheat flour for our Friday night pizza night, I found that all of our Usual Suspects of places we buy buckwheat flour from had sold out.
I realised I had two bags of buckwheat groats and wondered if I could maybe just blend them in the Vitamix to make a rough flour.
Within 5 seconds on a medium speed, the Vitamix made the smoothest buckwheat flour, if not better than the bagged stuff. Also for a bag of buckwheat groats it’s half the price of already milled flour. WIN!
I know I haven’t shared my buckwheat pizza base recipe with you yet, so if you’re gluten intolerant, or you want to try another pizza base option, give these a go. Despite its name, buckwheat is actually a seed, and is packed with protein and vitamins.
Our kids didn’t like these bases at first, but somewhere along the way they’ve migrated (kids will do this is you persevere and don’t make a ‘thing’ about it’). So where I used to make two different base mixes, we’re now solely on buckwheat.
The pizza here has a half and half of the girls favourite Hawaiian using free-range ham and my favourite, pumpkin pizza with home-made black olive pesto and rocket.
Buckwheat Pizza Bases
- 250 grams buckwheat groats (1 1/3 cups of buckwheat flour)
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bi carb soda
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 handful of fresh herbs, finely chopped. We use parsley and rosemary
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1 cup warm water
- If you need to mill your flour, place it in your Vitamix for 20 seconds on speed 8.
- Place flour, arrowroot, oil, salt, bi carb soda, apple cider vinegar, water and herbs and mix until it forms a smooth and thick cake-batter type of consistency.
- Spread on the baking paper using a spatula or wet hands until it is even and around .5 cm thick.
- Bake for 15 mins or until golden on top
- Add your favourite toppings and bake for a further 10 minutes or to your liking.